Sitting on the corner of Sessions Street and Morris Avenue, the Temple Emanu-El complex is located on a high ridge on the east side of Providence, its golden dome visible from many directions. The complex consists of three interconnected buildings designed to meet the many needs of an active community. The buildings have a total of over 66,000 square feet.
The sanctuary building was the first constructed, dedicated in 1927. The soaring sanctuary, with its tall stained glass windows and high dome, was completely restored on the outside in 2000, and restored and refurbished on the inside in 2002.
The School Building was added in 1953, with classrooms, auditorium, offices, and a library. In 1959 the Meeting House was built, creating much-needed function space for weddings, bar and bat mitzvah receptions, and temple-wide events.
In 2004-5, a new daily entrance was added to the School Building on Taft Avenue. At the same time the Fishbein Chapel was relocated and completely redesigned, and the Temple offices were renovated. All parts of the Temple are now handicapped-accessible.
Adjacent to Temple Emanu-El’s school building is the Ross Building, owned by the Jewish Community Day School of Rhode Island.